Tuesday, January 11, 2011

CPSIA Regulations

I know that there has been a lot of buzz around today about the new CPSIA regulations that will go into affect as of Feb 10, 2011. The PUL needs to be certified, which is one of the big reasons why I have switched producers of the PUL that I will be using, that and after a few other issues with that producer. These are the products that must be certified, due to possible lead content. As of Feb 10th, I will be adding a label inside the fleece, where it will not touch baby's skin, as you all can tell, I don't like labels on my diapers, hence the reason why there are no flashy tags:)

Many know that as of February 10th, 2011(how coincidental that is my birthday(lol) that all companies this includes WAHMs must conform to all regulations. I know that there are a few other WAHMS that are choosing to close their businesses, which Cutesy Tushies is not. I have decided to conform, while still keeping my product prices low. In the last few months I have stock piled a lot of materials, that are currently now out for testing at a CPSIA certified lab called Applied Technical Services. The testing that is being done on the PUL, snaps, elastic and velcro is Phthalate and Lead testing because of the film that is applied to the PUL. While it doesn't have any lead in it, it is still required, and because the film is a plastic, it is also required to have the Phthalate testing done. While, I may have spent way to much money stock piling materials, this ensures that I do not have to have products tested every time that I make a batch. PUL was ordered in bulk, when I say bulk, I mean bulk to make sure that it had came from the same group, to help ensure that testing does not continuously have to be repeated. So therefore large orders of  PUL, KAM Snaps, Velcro, and also Elastic have been ordered, to ensure that I don't have to certify the different products every month or couple of weeks.
The items that I have chosen to buy are already conformed to the CPSIA regulations, but I must make an actual product to be tested, so that they know that combined, it is still safe for little ones due to the CPSIA regulations.

As of Feb 10th, 2011, inside the diapers that I sell, we all know that I do not like tags, so I am choosing to put the tag inside of the fleece, so it will not touch your little one's skin. This in no way will affect the way that your diaper will work at all. Each tag will have to contain the following information. The date it was made, the batch number, the lot#, the manufacturer of the diaper and my contact info, which will most likely be the website.
By no means is this cheap in anyway, but when speaking with my husband, who has supported me with starting Cutesy Tushies, he said go for it.

So after speaking with our family lawyer, he deemed that is best to make sure before I buy any type of print material to go on the outside of the diaper, that it has already been tested. This will save me from having to have that tested as well. While there are ways around some of the testing, I am choosing not to, and for those that don't know, I do have my Master's in Accounting, so unlike some of the WAHM business, who are not so much choosing not to conform, but there is a lot that you must keep with record keeping, etc, it is just not worth their time. While I like to ship products as fast as my machine and kids let me, sometimes there will be maybe a one or two day extra delay beyond the 2-3 weeks that it takes me to get large sales shipped, such as some of the sales that I have run on Facebook. So please continue to watch for any updates on the Facebook page, as it may be that I ran out of snaps and now I am waiting for the new ones to get tested. I don't run out of materials very often, and plan to order ahead. Lab testing takes around 2-3 weeks, so when planning any sales I will adjust for that time as well. If there will be a delay you will be notified:)
If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know:)


No comments:

Post a Comment